Happy Thanksgiving Weekend (Oct. 15th-18th updates)

Hello Grade 6 community,

I wish you all a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Please enjoy the break from school. Read every day and get lots of fresh air!

Grade 6 students, remember lonely and alone are very different. How did you help someone who was lonely this weekend? How did you avoid feeling lonely? Did you enjoy some alone time?

When students return next Tuesday we will continue to work on the novel study “The King’s Equal.” All students should be working on chapter 4 course work. If students are behind I encourage them to spend a little bit of time setting a goal and making a plan to catch up this weekend. Please check planners to see if your child might require some support.

We are starting a new area of study in Science next week that includes systems of the human body! In Social Studies students will wrap up their exploration of the election this week and move into exploring NGO’s working around the world to support human rights and provide relief to those in need. In Math, we continue to explore place value but we have moved to the right side of the decimal expanding our understanding of very small numbers. In French students have been working on getting comfortable with simple dialogue and greetings. In Bible and Daily Devotions we continue to explore how Jesus demonstrates love to those around him in the Bible and how we can do the same at school and beyond.

Genius Hour is a few weeks away from its start but I wanted to give you a heads up. It is coming! Please consider saving paper towel rolls, cardboard and other material you think might be helpful to donate to your student or the class. I can tell I have a creative class this year, I can’t wait to see what unique and wacky projects they will create!

I am so thankful for the students in my class this year! It is a privilege to teach such amazing children.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ms. Froyland

BCmyEd:

Did you know you can access your students grades online to monitor their progress? You have already received an email and new password allowing you access to your students portal. If you didn’t, please contact Mrs. Kraubner for support.

Grades reflect student’s learning journey, sometimes letters and numbers do not give a full picture of how hard your child is working or how much they are learning. I encourage you to take a look if you are curious and check in by email or set up a meeting to discuss further.

Please note, I have added a few codes to my system this year that you may not be familiar with. I will enter grades traditionally but I also will have the following codes:

E-exempt (no grade given due to extenuating circumstance)

i-incomplete

mi-missing assignment

Ex-extending (student has gone above and beyond expectations and has made unique connections to other areas of study or beyond the classroom, student demonstrates mastery of concept)

Pro-Proficient (students are meeting all expectations of the assignment and demonstrate confidence in subject area)

De-Developing (students are able to show some ability but require support or an example to master concept)

Em-Emerging (student is beginning to show awareness of concept and learning requirements but requires consistent support)

Spelling:

No spelling this week due to a short week.

Important Dates:

Oct. 14 – Thanksgiving
Oct. 17/18 – Regen Youth Conference (Highschool)
Oct. 22 – Individual and Class Photos
Oct. 25 – Pro D Day
Oct. 29/30/31 – Scholastic Book Fair
Oct. 31 – Fall Colour Day
*PE strip required on Wednesday/Thursday
*Chapel Wednesday (Check with Mrs. Deckoff for Chapel Leadership schedule)

Bible Memory Verse:

Most students are doing very well with the entire verse. Next week we will focus on the importance of the Lord’s Prayer in our lives.

Matthew 6:9-13 (The Lord’s Prayer: Students will add a verse per week to the memory verse, the last test will be the entire Lord’s Prayer.)

9 Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name (Tested Oct. 4th)

10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  11 Give us today our daily bread.  (Tested Oct. 11th)

12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Tested Oct. 18th)

13 And lead is not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (Tested Oct. 25th)

*Be able to say the entire Lord’s Prayer at once. (Tested Nov. 1st)