Checking in

Dear parents and students,

After our second week I want to check in with you to see how your experience has been so far in this “new way” of learning. I hope that you and my students are finding time to breathe in this wild time.

Please take time to copy and paste these questions into an email and respond privately to: kfroyland@highroadacademy.com

• How is your child managing the workload?
  • Do you find you are able to provide a manageable amount of support for your child?
  • Does your child require more support than you are able to provide at this time?
  • How is the google class routine working for your child?
  • Do you find the assignment instructions clear?
  • Is there anything that I can do to better meet the needs of your child in their academic pursuits next week?
  • Is there anything else you would love to tell the teacher?

I have come to realize that my teaching practice is built upon the constant feedback I receive from my students (and from you). This “wild new way” of doing things limits the amount of feedback I am receiving. Feedback helps me adjust, plan and shape all that we do. I am committed to considering your ideas and experiences as we move forward.

Please encourage your child to participate regularly in the “morning meeting/devotion.” During this time students connect with their peers, participate in a short devotional and I am able to answer questions to assignments or provide students with specific instructions regarding import topics like digital citizenship and google “meet” etiquette.

(A note on assessment. I am working hard to review student work as it comes in. At this point I do not have a clear idea of how we will be expected to report data collected during this time. I do know students value positive feedback and suggestion for improving their work. Assessment of work also lets me understand concept attainment which informs how we proceed. If you are giving assignment feedback at home consider the three stars and a wish approach. Three things you notice that are well done and one area you “wish” they would consider correcting or adjusting next time.)

Thank you for your continued support and communication.

Peace and grace,

Ms. Kirsten Froyland