Extreme Environment Robots

Driving questions/purpose:

• I wonder if I can design a robot that can go through a black hole and come out a white hole? Can it withstand the pressure of a wormhole? Will it get sent to the future or the past? Is this even real? Can we prove it?
  • Once my robot goes into a black hole I hope it will not lose contact with earth.
  • My robot will go to Venus, I want my robot to take samples, images and test for water or living things.
  • My robot is going to Saturn to collect materials from the rings and check for water. and further research.
  • I want my robot to go into a black hole to see if there are any unique minerals there, I want my robot to collect samples to bring back to earth.
  • My robot will go to pluto to search for evidence of life, it will also use a camera to explore new planets and capture pictures.
  • I hope my robot will reach Mercury, its purpose is to bring samples back, search for minerals and look for water. I also wonder if there was ever life on Mercury.

Sample of student work for those away…

Humans cannot live on Venus because of the extreme temperatures reaching nearly 462 degrees celsius. Another reason is because the atmosphere pressure is 90 times stronger than earth’s. The atmosphere is hot and thick. You would not be able to survive a visit to the surface of the planet- you couldn’t breath there or you would be crushed by the enormous weight of the atmosphere and you would burn up in the surface temperatures hot enough to melt lead.

Important details about my robot:

• solar panels activated by the sun
  • tube lines with wires to send pictures to the rocket
  • sensors
  • a rocket
  • communication with earth
  • camera
  • it will travel the speed of astroids (200-400 miles per hour)
  • a rocket dislocates and takes pictures from the rim of Venus’ atmospheric
  • re-entry plan