Kayaking At Cultus (In the Rain)

Dear parents,

The weather forecast does not appear to be in our favor tomorrow! When I planned this event, I envisioned warm and sunny June weather, but unfortunately, there seems to be a generous amount of rain in store for us.

We will likely return to school earlier to the school than originally planned. If the weather is favorable, we will have our lunches at Cultus Lake and stay to play group games. I will be in contact with the school office throughout the day to alert them to changing plans.

As an alternate plan to being in the outdoors, I would like to show the class a movie based on the true story of William Kamkwamba (a 13-year-old boy living in a small village in Malawi, Africa) who created a device that would restore the land and save his people after flooding ruined their grain fields. The movie is based on the same title as the book The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. Both English and Chewa (subtitled) are spoken in the film, which has clear, strong themes of perseverance, courage, curiosity, and integrity. The movie has excellent connections to our Force and Motion unit in Science as well as our Social Studies big ideas in grade 6 (how media portrays evenings and issues, economic self-interest can be a significant cause of conflict among peoples and governments, systems of government vary in their respect for human rights and freedoms, complex global problems require international co-operation to make difficult choices for the future). I wanted to make you aware of this plan and the review of the movie in case you are uncomfortable. If you would rather your child not see the film, please email me directly, and your child will be provided work to complete away from the rest of the group.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/the-boy-who-harnessed-the-wind

Respectfully,

Ms. Froyland

Field Trip Reminders:

• Students will travel from HRA at 8:15 to Cultus Lake (return time TBA, weather permitting, no later than 2:45)
  • Parents supporting the field trip are asked to meet us at Main Beach (criminal record check must be on file at the office)
  • Students must bring the required gear list and personal snacks
  • All assumptions of risks and release documents (are) completed

Location:

76 Sunnyside blvd. (Parking lot B)

Gear List:

• water bottles, snacks, lunch (NO NUTS-students with severe allergies will be on the field trip)
  • bathing suit or swim shorts (students will get wet!)
  • Towel
  • fleece layers
  • rain jacket
  • warm socks (2 pairs)
  • Shoes (for in the water)
  • Dry shoes for on land (no flip flops or crocs, please)
  • Dry clothes
  • Toque, warm jacket
  • Optional – Wet suit